Re: a question for the way-back machine

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a question for the way-back machine
Date: 2006-12-15 08:59:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/14/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:35:47AM -0800, Ben wrote:
> > Interesting. Is that plan cached for the life of the session doing the
> > inserts, the life of the trigger, or until the database is restarted?
>
> Duration of a session, there is no support to cache a plan for any other
> period.

Is it session level !!??? I think it is query level; don't we discard the
plan after each query? AFAIK, only the plpgsql and other pl/ sisters cache
the plan for the queries inside their code-blocks. I am under the impression
that if a query is fired multiple times, it will be planned every time,
unless we user PREPAREd stetements.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com