Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, Murray Prior Hobbs <murray(at)efone(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems
Date: 2002-01-20 22:52:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

> You can surely make things a lot worse for those that are using other
> operating systems. I certainly don't agree with making changes just
> because Red Hat blew it.

It does appear that the problem can be blamed entirely on the RPM
packaging of Tcl. I tried configuring from source on RHL 7.2, and
neither tcl 8.3.2 nor 8.3.4 produce a "soname" switch in TCL_SHLIB_LD.
In fact, grep can't find any occurrence of "soname" anywhere in the
Tcl source distribution.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure that "do nothing" is an acceptable response
on our part.

I tried setting up pltcl's makefile to dike out the offending switch:

override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst %soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))

but could not get it to work --- gmake's pattern matching logic seems
to be too brain-dead to cope with more than one % in a pattern. And

override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst -Wl,-soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))

doesn't work either; apparently there's no way to escape the comma.
Anyone know a cute hack to get gmake to do this?