Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Murray Prior Hobbs <murray(at)efone(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems
Date: 2002-01-21 00:02:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

[2002-01-20 17:52] Tom Lane said:
| Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
| > You can surely make things a lot worse for those that are using other
| > operating systems. I certainly don't agree with making changes just
| > because Red Hat blew it.
|
| It does appear that the problem can be blamed entirely on the RPM
| packaging of Tcl. I tried configuring from source on RHL 7.2, and
| neither tcl 8.3.2 nor 8.3.4 produce a "soname" switch in TCL_SHLIB_LD.
| In fact, grep can't find any occurrence of "soname" anywhere in the
| Tcl source distribution.
|
| Nonetheless, I'm not sure that "do nothing" is an acceptable response
| on our part.

Agreed. I think working around this borkenness in the Makefile is
the best solution; I don't think switching from RTLD_LAZY is good
right now.

| I tried setting up pltcl's makefile to dike out the offending switch:
|
| override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst %soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))
|
| but could not get it to work --- gmake's pattern matching logic seems
| to be too brain-dead to cope with more than one % in a pattern. And
|
| override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(patsubst -Wl,-soname%, , $(TCL_SHLIB_LD))
|
| doesn't work either; apparently there's no way to escape the comma.
| Anyone know a cute hack to get gmake to do this?

It seems that substvar operates on each " " separated token in the
string. The following works for me.

override TCL_SHLIB_LD := $(shell echo $(TCL_SHLIB_LD) | sed 's/-Wl,-soname.*//')

cheers.
brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman