Re: NDirectFileRead and Write

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NDirectFileRead and Write
Date: 2008-09-11 18:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Here is a patch to user NDirectFileRead/Write counters to get I/O counts
> in BufFile module. We can see the counters when log_statement_stats is on.

Couple thoughts here:

* Let's rename them BufFileReadCount and BufFileWriteCount to reflect
their actual purpose.

* If the extern's are moved to buffile.h, I think the definitions of the
variables themselves should move to buffile.c. However, that would
imply including buffile.h in bufmgr.c which is a bit ugly from a
modularity standpoint. In any case I agree that the current arrangement
with execdebug.h declaring variables defined in bufmgr.c is just weird.