Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 21:00:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> David Fetter wrote:
>> Again, just my humble opinion, but given the stated goal, which I
>> agree with, I'd say it's worth holding up 8.4 until some kind of
>> out-of-the-box replication advances that goal, where Yet Another
>> Toolkit Suitable For People Who Are Already Database Kernel Hackers To
>> Build Replication Systems On Top Of does not.

> I am confused why we would hold 8.4 when no one said we should hold 8.3
> because we didn't have built-in replication.

Possibly I am misinterpreting what David said, but I think his opinion
is that synchronous log shipping in itself is useless, and that we
should hold 8.4 until we have that *and* slave-side query execution.
Suffice it to say that I disagree with the first position, and as for
the second, I will never again be willing to hold a release for one
single feature, no matter what it is. We've learned the folly of
managing the project that way several times over.