Re: Development with Eclipse - Wrong error messages in IDE

From: Jason Petersen <jason(at)citusdata(dot)com>
To: Peter Moser <pitiz29a(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development with Eclipse - Wrong error messages in IDE
Date: 2016-02-05 17:40:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 2:38 AM, Peter Moser <pitiz29a(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone had similar problems? Do I have to configure Eclipse to understand the PG_RMGR macro or is there another possibility to teach Eclipse these macros?

I just built 9.6 under Eclipse CDT to try this out and was able to open e.g. heapam.c without any error markers.

I added PostgreSQL as a “Makefile Project with Existing Code” after running ./configure from the command-line. After that, I built the project from within Eclipse by adding the ‘all’ make target and running it.

One setting I usually change: right-click the project, pick Properties, then drill down through C/C++ General -> Preprocessor Include Paths. In the Provider pane, there is an entry for “CDT GCC Build Output Parser”. I’m not sure if this is strictly necessary, but I set my “Container to keep discovered entries” setting to “File”.

Basically, Eclipse scans the make output for -I flags, then notes all the includes used to build each file, so the static analyzer, etc. can have more accurate information (it is crucial that the “Compiler command pattern” in this window be a regex that will match the compiler binary you use, so if you have /usr/local/bin/gcc, and “gcc” is the pattern, you are in for trouble).

After running the build, Eclipse should now know what includes are used for each file and stop whining. If it ever seems to have problems, you can kick it by running a clean target, then all, then picking “Project -> C/C++ Index -> Rebuild” (I think).

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data