Re: disabling seq scans

From: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <shannyconsulting(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: disabling seq scans
Date: 2004-04-01 21:12:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Yes, that is what I thought 1st...
But, since we're using pooled connections, we must be extra
careful and ensure all connections have the enable_seqscan
reset to its default.
So, the main question is:

Do the pooling system resets the "enable_seqscan" variable
when the connections are delivered to the clients or we
*must* do it ourselves?

Another issue: when enable_seqscan is false, I found that
the sequential scanning is performed normally (as in
"select count (*) from <table>") but have them any performance
issues?

Last one... This time, specifically to the java side: what
do you think about adding new methods, say, setEnableSeqScan(boolean)
and getEnableSeqScan() to our (by our I mean
postgres) drivers?