Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-04-29 15:59:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> What to people think about having an optional "maintenance window" so
> that autovac only takes action during an approved time. But perhaps
> just using the vacuum delay settings will be enough.

I'm not sure autovac should go completely catatonic during the day;
what if someone does an unusual mass deletion, or something? But
it does seem pretty reasonable to have a notion of a maintenance
window where it should be more active than it is at other times.

Maybe what you want is two complete sets of autovac parameters.
Definitely at least two sets of the vacuum-delay values.