Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-04-29 15:51:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:09:43 -0400,
Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> >
> > > If this can kick off a vacuum of a Very Large Table at an unfortunate
> > > time, this can turn out to be a prety painful misfeature.
> >
> > [ shrug... ] You'll always be able to turn it off if you don't want it.
> > I'm not sure that we'll be ready to turn it on by default even in 8.1.
>
> Agreed. It will just be there to turn on from postgresql.conf if you
> want it, and we do have TODO information about keeping such an FSM for
> recently expired pages.

I think if we aren't finding problems in testing that it would be better
to turn pg_autovacuum on by default. Vacuum is something the burns new
users and having it one by default is going to cut down on surprises.
Experienced users know about vacuum and will probably read the release
notes when upgrading and do something that is appropiate for them.