Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-10-13 11:54:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 21:01, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> One thing that is nice with meson's testrunner is that it can parse the output
> of tap tests and recognizes the number of completed / failed subtests. I
> wonder whether we could make pg_regress' output tap compliant without the
> output quality suffering too much.

I added a --tap option for TAP output to pg_regress together with Jinbao Chen
for giggles and killing some time a while back. It's not entirely done and
sort of PoC, but most of it works. Might not be of interest here, but in case
it is I've refreshed it slightly and rebased it. There might be better ways to
do it, but the aim was to make the diff against the guts of pg_regress small
and instead extract output functions for the different formats.

It omits the test timings, but that could be added either as a diagnostic line
following each status or as a YAML block in TAP 13 (the attached is standard
TAP, not version 13 but the change would be trivial).

If it's helpful and there's any interest for this I'm happy to finish it up now.

One thing that came out of this, is that we don't really handle the ignored
tests in the way the code thinks it does for normal output, the attached treats
ignored tests as SKIP tests.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_regress_tap.diff application/octet-stream 14.1 KB