Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date: 2022-09-07 06:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05.09.22 23:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> Why is this being proposed?
>
> Andres is annoyed by the long build time of ecpg, which he has to
> wait for whether he wants to test it or not. I could imagine that
> I might disable ecpg testing on my slowest buildfarm animals, too.
>
> I suppose maybe we could compromise on inventing --with-ecpg but
> having it default to "on", so that you have to take positive
> action if you don't want it.

We already have "make all" vs. "make world" to build just the important
stuff versus everything. And we have "make world-bin" to build,
approximately, everything except the slow stuff. Let's try to work
within the existing mechanisms. For example, removing ecpg from "make
all" might be sensible.

(Obviously, "all" is then increasingly becoming a lie. Maybe a renaming
like "all" -> "core" and "world" -> "all" could be in order.)

The approach with the make targets is better than a configure option,
because it allows you to build a narrow set of things during development
and then build everything for final confirmation, without having to
re-run configure. Also, it's less confusing for packagers.