Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN
Date: 2002-07-04 05:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, he only breaks even for client cleanliness --- either approach
>> *will* require changes in clients that look at pg_attribute.

> Uh, Christopher already indicated three clients, psql, pg_dump, and
> another that will not require changes for Hiroshi's approach, but will
> require changes for isdropped.

Oh? If either psql or pg_dump don't break, it's a mere coincidence,
because they certainly depend on attnum. (It's also pretty much
irrelevant considering they're both under our control and hence easily
fixed.)

I'm fairly certain that Christopher is mistaken, anyhow. Check the
manipulations of attribute defaults for a counterexample in pg_dump.