Re: [GENERAL] Estimated rows question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sam Ross <elliptic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Estimated rows question
Date: 2012-09-12 23:19:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Sam Ross <elliptic(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Do you want to try it and submit a patch for testing?

> Thanks for the answer, and sorry for the slow reply -
> I'm not sure I have the necessary expertise, but I'll be happy to give
> it a shot. Is there an already-assembled library of queries that is
> used to test purported improvements to the planner, or is it expected
> that I come up with a convincing test-set myself?

No, we don't really have much in that line :-(. There's the regression
tests of course, but they're mostly about functionality not quality of
statistical estimates. In practice, as long as a proposed change made
the estimates demonstrably better in some reasonable scenarios, and
didn't slow it down very much, that would probably be enough.