Re: SQL/JSON features for v15

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON features for v15
Date: 2022-08-23 14:47:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/23/22 12:13 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 07:57:29PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> To me it feels like there's a probably too much work here to cram it at this
>> point. If several other committers shared the load of working on this it'd
>> perhaps be doable, but I've not seen many volunteers.
>
> While 0002 is dead simple, I am worried about the complexity created
> by 0001, 0003 (particularly tightening subtransactions with a
> CASE_EEOP) and 0004 at this late stage of the release process:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7d83684b-7932-9f29-400b-0beedfafcdd4@postgrespro.ru
>
> This is not a good sign after three betas for a feature as complex as
> this one.

I see Amit is taking a closer look at the patches.

The RMT had its regular meeting today and discussed the state of
progress on this and how it reflects release timing. Our feeling is that
regardless if the patchset is included/reverted, it would necessitate a
Beta 4 (to be discussed with release team). While no Beta 4 date is set,
given where we are this would probably push the release into early
October to allow for adequate testing time.

To say it another way, if we want to ensure we can have a 15.1 in the
November update releases, we need to make a decision soon on how we want
to proceed.

Thanks,

Jonathan