Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: error message when subscription target is a partitioned table

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Arkhena <Arkhena(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2019-01-10 08:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019/01/10 17:46, Arkhena wrote:
>> Your rewritten version is perhaps fine, although I remain a bit concerned
>> that some users might be puzzled when they see this error, that is, if
>> they interpret the message as "it's impossible to use a partitioned table
>> as logical replication target".
>>

>>From [documentation](
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/logical-replication-restrictions.html
> ) :
>> Attempts to replicate tables other than base tables will result in an
> error.
>
> That's basicaly what I had understood about logicial replication...

Ah, if the documentation contains such description then maybe it's fine.

The reason I started this thread is due to this Stack Overflow question:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53554727/logical-replication-and-declarative-partitioning-in-postgresql-11

So, it appears that there may be an element of surprise involved in
encountering such an error (despite the documentation).

Thanks,
Amit