Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: error message when subscription target is a partitioned table

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Arkhena <Arkhena(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2019-01-10 10:27:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 05:58:10PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> The reason I started this thread is due to this Stack Overflow question:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53554727/logical-replication-and-declarative-partitioning-in-postgresql-11
>
> So, it appears that there may be an element of surprise involved in
> encountering such an error (despite the documentation).

Improving the user experience is definitely a good thing in my
opinion because the current error message can be confusing, so you
were right to start this thread. Still I don't agree that classifying
those relkinds as not supported is right either for consistency with
the code existing for two years and for the way the code is designed
to work as rows are replicated on a per-physically-defined relation
basis.
--
Michael