Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: generic WAL compression

From: Markus Nullmeier <dq124(at)uni-heidelberg(dot)de>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Oleg Ivanov <o(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: generic WAL compression
Date: 2018-02-07 18:02:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi David,

On 07/02/18 18:31, David Steele wrote:

> This proposal is still in need of review and hasn't really gotten it in
> the last few CFs.

Agreed.

> Since the feature does not seem like a good fit for the last CF of PG11
> I am marking it Returned with Feedback.

Is there any chance that it may be still resubmitted / reopened for the
March CF?
Actually right now I am in the process of reviewing it, for it would be
really useful for my "OUZO" project (a fork of the RUM access method).

One general comment I can already make is that enabling compression
should be made optional, which appears to be a small and easy addition
to the generic WAL API.

Best regards,

--
Markus Nullmeier http://www.g-vo.org
German Astrophysical Virtual Observatory (GAVO)