Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: generic WAL compression

From: Oleg Ivanov <o(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Markus Nullmeier <dq124(at)uni-heidelberg(dot)de>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: generic WAL compression
Date: 2018-03-13 14:36:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/07/2018 09:02 PM, Markus Nullmeier wrote:
> One general comment I can already make is that enabling compression
> should be made optional, which appears to be a small and easy addition
> to the generic WAL API.

The new version of the patch is attached.

In order to control generic WAL compression the new structure
PageXLogCompressParams is introduced. It is passed as an additional
parameter into GenericXLogRegisterBufferEx, so the access method
can control its own WAL compression.

GenericXLogRegisterBuffer uses default compression settings which
appeared to be a reasonable tradeoff between performance overheads
and compression rate on RUM. On my HDD PostgreSQL works even 10%
faster for some RUM workloads because of reducing size of generic
WAL to be written.

Oleg Ivanov
Postgres Professional
The Russian PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
generic_xlog_diffdelta_v3.patch text/x-patch 27.9 KB
postgresql.conf text/plain 22.2 KB
test00.sql application/sql 1.7 KB
test01.sql application/sql 1.7 KB
test_correctness.sh application/x-shellscript 1.6 KB
total_test.sh application/x-shellscript 6.9 KB