Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 20:58:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca (Andrew Sullivan) writes:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:33:17AM +0800, Shashank Tripathi wrote:
>
>> My simple point is that PgSQL should be, and can be, easier to
>> integrate with market leading platforms such as Cpanel and Plesk.
>
> You've now made this claim three times in the thread without any
> argument for it. For those of us who happily tra-la through life
> without ever having to use either of these platforms, perhaps you
> could outline what the barriers are and how you think those could be
> reduced. That would be more helpful to your goal, I think, than
> repeating that MySQL has good marketing. I don't think the latter
> is exactly news hereabouts.

The CPanel "issue" isn't exactly new. I have pointed it out on a
number of occasions, and I think it remains a true factor.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2005-07/msg00144.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/msg00852.php
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg19226.html

CPanel is widely used by ISPs to help their users manage "web hosting"
services, and its support for MySQL(tm)[1] has been a lot better than
that for PostgreSQL. I think that most certainly has been a factor in
the adoption of MySQL for little web applications out there.

The fact that I administer all my PostgreSQL DBs via the command line,
and would prefer to do so in a web hosting environment, does not
prevent me from imagining that people may have chosen to use
MySQL(tm)[1] due to the "ease of access" that CPanel provided.

A reason for preference for MySQL(tm)[1] would evaporate if CPanel had
better PostgreSQL support.

Footnotes:
[1] MySQL(tm) is a trademark of MySQL AB
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/