Re: renameatt() can rename attribute of index, sequence, ...

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: renameatt() can rename attribute of index, sequence, ...
Date: 2010-03-11 14:55:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/3/10 KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>:
> Indeed, it is useful to allow renaming attribute of composite types.
>
> However, it is also useless to allow to rename attribute of sequences,
> but harmless, like renames on indexes. It seems to me it is fair enough
> to allow renaming attributes of tables, views and composite types...

I don't agree. I think users should be allowed to rename things they
had a hand in naming in the first place (and index columns fall into
that category, since the names are derived from table column names).
But changing system-assigned column names for sequences or toast
tables is just weird.

...Robert