Re: feature request

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Omar Bettin <o(dot)bettin(at)informaticaindustriale(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: 2010-02-25 22:11:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Omar Bettin
<o(dot)bettin(at)informaticaindustriale(dot)it> wrote:
> hello to everyone,
> is a bit late for an italian, but after an long day debugging I had an idea.
> Why not introduce a special SQL command like
> STORE WHERE [condition] FROM [table]
> removing all data that meet the condition and storing them into another
> database?
> Then, if a query that needs the stored data is executed after such command
> the database joins the stored data into the result query.
> This can keep the production database lightweight and fast.
> Regards

DELETE ... RETURNING is useful for this kind of thing, sometimes. And
you could use it inside a function to go and do something with each
row returned, though that might not be very graceful for large numbers
of rows. The proposed syntax wouldn't actually work because it
doesn't specify where to put the data.

...Robert