Re: explain output infelicity in psql

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date: 2009-12-10 17:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>

>>> Yeah, I'm thinking we should probably suppress output of format.nl_right
>>> (no matter what the format) where there is only one column. (This is even
>>> uglier with unicode linestyle, btw). That's a sane rule and it's not an ugly
>>> hack.
>>>

>> Yes it is.
>
> I don't see much virtue of having these characters when there is only one
> column.

I don't see much virtue in having these characters, period. The reason
for having them is presumably to avoid confusion between two rows and
one row with an embedded newline. If anything, this confusion is more
likely with a single column than it is with multiple columns, since
you don't have the context of the surrounding output.

...Robert