Re: explain output infelicity in psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date: 2009-12-10 17:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Yeah, I'm thinking we should probably suppress output of format.nl_right
>> (no matter what the format) where there is only one column. (This is
>> even uglier with unicode linestyle, btw). That's a sane rule and it's
>> not an ugly hack.
>>

> Yes it is.

I don't see much virtue of having these characters when there is only
one column.

> The real problem here is expecting the tabular format to be
> copy and pasteable, which is not a design goal it's ever had, and not
> one that we can start imposing on it at this late date. Why don't you
> just do "\pset format unaligned" (or "\a" if you're lazy)?

Well, I haven't had to up to now. I'm not sure what we have is exactly
an advance. I guess I can set the linestyle to old-ascii in my .psqlrc,
but having to do that all over the place is annoying.

And clearly I'm not the only person who doesn't like this behaviour.

cheers

andrew