Re: psql \d* and system objects

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date: 2009-03-29 02:31:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escreveu:
>> The psql system object display issue has not been completely resolved
>> for 8.4;  see 8.4 open items:
>>
>>       http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items#Changes
>>
>> So what is the proposal?  Have U/S/A flags for all commands and have
>> different system display default for each command?
>>
> [I don't read the whole thread but...] Why don't we use a DISPLAY_OBJECTS psql
> variable? The point in providing metacommands is facility. If we're using a
> psql variable, we don't need to add another character to distinguish between
> system, user, or both. Also, I don't think people frequently change the search
> class (system, user, or both) so I don't buy the argument that it is more
> easier to type another letter each time than typing a '\set FOO bar' once per
> dozens of commands.

I think you should reconsider your non-buying of that argument. That
would be really, really annoying for me. Most of the time I want to
look at a user object. But every now and then I want to look at a
system object. Having to type two commands to get that would be
completely annoying.

...Robert