Re: psql \d* and system objects

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date: 2009-03-28 05:25:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian escreveu:
> The psql system object display issue has not been completely resolved
> for 8.4; see 8.4 open items:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items#Changes
>
> So what is the proposal? Have U/S/A flags for all commands and have
> different system display default for each command?

[I don't read the whole thread but...] Why don't we use a DISPLAY_OBJECTS psql
variable? The point in providing metacommands is facility. If we're using a
psql variable, we don't need to add another character to distinguish between
system, user, or both. Also, I don't think people frequently change the search
class (system, user, or both) so I don't buy the argument that it is more
easier to type another letter each time than typing a '\set FOO bar' once per
dozens of commands.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/