Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-27 15:14:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> [pg_upgrade...]
>> Why is the deadline different than anything else?
>
> err, isn't it because it'd be kind of difficult to do an upgrade script
> with large catalog-changing patches outstanding..? I thought some
> leeway was given for pg_upgrade specifically due to that, tho perhaps
> I'm wrong.

Sure... if this script had been 100% commitable on 11/1 and now needed
to be adjusted, I can't imagine anyone objecting. But the patch
wasn't submitted until 12/4 and still needs a complete rewrite in a
different programming language as of 1/27. Do you think we would be
arguing about whether to accept Hot Standby now if it were written in
ksh? And that was at least submitted on time.

...Robert