Re: Documenting pglesslog

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documenting pglesslog
Date: 2009-01-12 03:26:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In general, IMHO, I don't think it's a good direction to go in to
> include links to works of other copyright holders.

I think it's a great idea. IMHO, one of the major selling points of
PostgreSQL is its awesome documentation. However, one of its
weaknesses is that contrib module, pgfoundry projects, etc. are often
not mentioned in the parts of the main documentation to which they
relate. While I certainly don't want to go in the direction of
telling people "Don't worry about the fact that we handle X poorly
because there is a 5-year old, unmaintained pgfoundry module that
fixes it", giving people references tools that the community thinks
are good and useful seems very helpful to me.

I am completely mystified as what linking "other copyright holders"
has to do with it. That seems to imply that you fear some sort of
legal entanglement, but I can't imagine what it could possibly be.
Admittedly, IANAL.

...Robert