Re: Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig

From: "Denis Lussier" <denisl(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Leigh Dyer" <leigh(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)wirelesscar(dot)com
Subject: Re: Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig
Date: 2006-07-29 18:09:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

> systems could send me their bonnie + benchmarksql results!

I am one of the authors of BenchmarkSQL, it is similar to a DBT2. But, its
very easy to use (&/or abuse). It's a multithreaded Java Swing client that
can run the exact same benchmark (uses JDBC prepared statements) against
Postgres/EnterpriseDB/Bizgres, MySQueeL, Horacle, Microsloth, etc, etc. You
can find BenchmarkSQL on pgFoundry and SourceForge.

As expected, Postgres is good on this benchmark and is getting better all
the time.

If you run an EnterpriseDB install right out of the box versus a PG install
right out of the box you'll notice that EnterpriseDB outperforms PG by
better than 2x. This does NOT mean that EnterpriseDB is 3x faster than
Postgres... EnterpriseDB is the same speed as Postgres. We do something
we call "Dynatune" at db startup time. The algorithm is pretty simple in
our current GA version and really only considers the amount of RAM, SHARED
Memory, and machine usage pattern. Manual tuning is required to really
optimize performance....

For great insight into the basics of quickly tuning PostgreSQL for a
reasonable starting point, check out the great instructions offered by Josh
Berkus and Joe Conway at http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/.

The moral of this unreasonably verbose email is that you shouldn't abuse
BenchmarkSQL and measure runs without making sure that, at least,
quick/simple best practices have been applied to tuning the db's you are
choosing to test.

--Denis Lussier
CTO
http://www.enterprisedb.com