Re: Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig

From: Leigh Dyer <leigh(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com
Subject: Re: Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig
Date: 2006-07-28 14:17:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mikael Carneholm wrote:
> I would be interested in what numbers you would get out of bonnie++
> (http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++) and BenchmarkSQL
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/benchmarksql) on that hardware, for
> comparison with our DL385 (2xOpteron 280, 16Gb ram) and MSA1500. If you
> need help building benchmarksql, I can assist you with that.
>
> Actually, I would be interested if everyone who's reading this that has
> a similar machine (2 cpu, dual core opteron) with different storage
> systems could send me their bonnie + benchmarksql results!

Here's the bonnie++ results from our Sun Fire V40z (2x Opteron 250, 4GB
RAM) with 6 15krpm 73GB drives connected to an LSI MegaRAID 320-2X
controller with 512MB cache. It's running Linux, and I'm using what
seems to be a fairly typical 6-drive setup: 2 drives in RAID-1 for OS
and WAL, and 4 drives in RAID-10 for data. This is from the 4-drive
RAID-10 array:

Version 1.03 ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input-
--Random-
-Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block--
--Seeks--
Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP
/sec %CP
gaz 8G 56692 88 73061 12 33048 6 44994 64 132571 14
474.0 0
------Sequential Create------ --------Random
Create--------
-Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read---
-Delete--
files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
/sec %CP
16 19448 88 +++++ +++ 18611 72 19952 90 +++++ +++
15167 65

This system is actually in production currently, and while it's a rather
quiet time at the moment, it still wasn't _entirely_ inactive when those
numbers were run, so the real performance is probably a little higher.
I'll see if I can run some BenchmarkSQL numbers as well.

Thanks
Leigh