Re: Rendering pi more nicely in PDF

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rendering pi more nicely in PDF
Date: 2020-04-30 04:00:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello hackers,

30.04.2020 00:23, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> But apparently it's not sufficient -- the new font is not used
> everywhere. For example footnotes seem to use a different font than the
> main body of text. (I altered the fontname to Gentium, which I like
> better, and uses a different glyph for "g" which is easy to spot ... and
> notably absent in footnote in page 5 under 1.4 Accessing a Database.)
>
> I +1 the idea of using a more complete font if it means we can render
> contributor names better, though :-)
We at Postgres Pro use the attached fop-config.xml (passed to fop as "-c
.../fop-config.xml"). Please try it and see, whether the glyphs rendered
as expected.
You can also look at the generated pdf:
https://postgrespro.com/media/docs/postgresql/12/en/postgres-A4.pdf
But π (pi) is still rendered unusual as you can see on the page 179, so
I would prefer the symbol font anyway.

Best regards,
Alexander

Attachment Content-Type Size