Re: Partitioned tables and relfilenode

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned tables and relfilenode
Date: 2017-03-06 08:23:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/03/06 17:01, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

>>> The existing comment only specifies "temp tables" and not "temp table
>>> of other backends". The new comment keeps that part same and adds
>>> partitioned table case. So, I don't see any reason to change the "temp
>>> tables" to "temp table of other backends" in this patch.
>>
>> Hmm. A separate patch might be fine but why not fix the incorrect part
>> while we are updating the whole comment anyway.
>
> There must be a reason why that comment is written the way it's
> written. I guess, "from other backends" part of "temp tables" story
> has been explained just few lines above and the author/s didn't want
> to repeat it again.

That's perhaps true. I guess it depends on who reads it. Someone might
think the comment is incorrect because *not all* temporary child tables
are excluded.

> There's no point in changing it while we are not
> touching temp tables handling.

We can leave it for the committer to decide, maybe. Committers often
rewrite surrounding comments to improve wording, correcting factual
errors, etc.

Thanks,
Amit