Re: uniquely indexing Celko's nested set model

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: uniquely indexing Celko's nested set model
Date: 2007-10-21 03:17:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 20, 2007, at 21:24 , Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> I've seen ltree mentioned from time to time. Is it true that it
> works with adjacency list model?

I don't believe so. I think it's path-based, but you can check it out
for yourself in contrib/

> If the nested set model is chosen, would having a table and index
> fill factor of 50% be a good idea in this case if periodic updates
> were expected?

"fill factor" wrt nested set means not using consecutive numbering of
the bounds, leaving space for inserted nodes. Table rewrites might be
necessary from time to time as inserts fill in the gaps. You could
also do nested sets using numeric rather than integer, which gives
you a lot more flexibility.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net