Creating Functions in Separate Schema

From: "Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating Functions in Separate Schema
Date: 2004-08-26 21:42:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Our application currently runs in Microsoft SQL Server and we are
porting it over to Postgres. When we write enbedded SQL queries for SQL
Server, we need to reference user-defined functions with the prefix
"dbo." (e.g., "dbo.Function_Name()"). In experimenting with Postgres,
it appears that we can create a schema called "dbo" and then reference
functions with the same syntax (e.g., "dbo.Function_Name()").

We're trying to understand whether there will be any disadvantages to
doing this. Are there any possible issues or problems with this
approach? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.