Re: Constraints to Guarantee unique across tables with foreign key?

From: Benjamin Smith <bens(at)effortlessis(dot)com>
To: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Constraints to Guarantee unique across tables with foreign key?
Date: 2004-08-26 22:04:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks!

Using the dual foreign key essentially allows me to "import" the students_id
field from attendancereports into attendancerecords, thereby satisfying my
requirement to guarantee uniqueness, even though students_id is really more
applicable to the attendancereports table.

(I can't drop attendancereports table for the reason that the report itself
needs to be tracked in order to be sure all forms have been turned in and
signed - I did not mention additional fields to guarantee that the form has
been verified by another staff member, and is thus "on file".)

I started SQL (as do many) with MySQL, and very quickly became frustrated with
its limitations. I moved to PG, and now, even after developing dozens of
applications over the ensuing half decade, am continuously amazed by the fact
that whatever problem I run into, Postgres can handle it.

Damn nice software....

-Ben

--
"I kept looking around for somebody to solve the problem.
Then I realized I am somebody"