Creating a new server

From: "Carlson, James (Jim)" <jcarlson(at)rti(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating a new server
Date: 2006-11-13 21:06:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

I have a Red Hat Linux 7.2 server running currently and not showing any
problems. The hardware is several years old now and I am concerned it
will suffer a hardware fault. I am trying to be a little more proactive
and create a new server. I have the new system up and running Red Hat
Enterprise 4. Can someone point me to a How-to or give me some guidance
on how best to copy the database to the new server.

Ideally, I would like to have the two machines operate with one in a
standby mode. Each night using a cron job I would like to sync up the
database between the two machines.

I looked at pg_dump and attempted the following

>pg_dump [database name] > sync-trial.db

Connected to template1...

Psql: FATAL 1: user "jcarlson" does not exist

I do not know if pg_dump is the best way to do this, but I have included
it in the question to indicate what I attempted. If pg_dump is the
correct path to follow, how do I address the error?

Thanks,

Jim Carlson, Principal Scientist

RTI International

3040 Cornwallis Road

MCNC-Bldg. 1, Room 318

Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709

jcarlson(at)rti(dot)org

ph 919-248-9238

fax 919-248-1455

This email and its attachments contain confidential information which is
intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information
that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure and
may be subject to a Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement between the sender
and the recipient. It is intended only for the individual(s) or entity
named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to other.
Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by
calling the phone number indicated or by e-mail, and delete the e-mail
(including any attachment/s) subsequently.