Re: AutoVacuum on demand?

From: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AutoVacuum on demand?
Date: 2006-11-13 21:05:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Glen Parker wrote:
>> I would like a way to run the autovacuum daemon on demand
>> periodically. Every night at 2 AM, for example.
>>
>> Anybody know if this is possible? If not, it's a feature request :-)
>
> Autovacuum can be enabled / disabled on the fly using the GUC settings.
> Perhaps you can write a cron script that runs at 2AM that enables
> autovac, and at 6AM (just a guess) disables it in the same fashion. I
> think that should work.
>
> Would be curious to hear your results.

I thought it sounded like a good idea, but then...

SET autovacuum = on;
ERROR: parameter "autovacuum" cannot be changed now

So then I thought maybe I could kind of fool it with...

SET autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 99999999;
ERROR: parameter "autovacuum_vacuum_threshold" cannot be changed now

Oh well.

-Glen