Re: Synchronized Scan update

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synchronized Scan update
Date: 2007-03-07 21:31:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 6, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong, I want things to be easily understandable as well
>> but the reason you site above pretty much
>> makes us need to remove most of the postgresql.conf, including all
>> bgwriter, vacuum cost delay, and autovac settings.
>> Not to mention commit delay and others ;).
>
> Wouldn't that be nice!
>
> The explosion of GUC settings is primarily a result of not enough
> information.
> The reason there are 7 bgwriter settings, for example, is that we
> have no
> idea what those settings should be and are hoping that people will
> tinker
> with them and tell us. Someday when I can fully profile bgwriter,
> we'll just
> have one setting: bgwriter_aggressive, set to a number between 0
> and 9.

In the mean time; it would be great for these multiple-settings cases
to be listed somewhere, indicating that it's something we could use
help with. I think that with some explanation of what we're looking
for there's any number of people who could do this kind of profiling.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net