Re: How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date: 2016-03-07 12:55:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

From: Craig Ringer
We could help ORMs solve the N+1 SELECTs problem and help them avoid transferring vast join projections unnecessarily. That'd make PostgreSQL pretty compelling for exactly the users we're mostly too busy dismissing to consider.

I'd be interested in reaching out to some Hibernate/JPA and ActiveRecord folks about how the DB could help the ORM and have been meaning to explore this area for a while, but -ENOTIME. If anyone pursues it I'll be really interested in hearing how things go.

You have various ideas and experience, don't you?
Are those ideas on ORMs beneficial exclusively to PostgreSQL or to all DBMSs? I don't know the structure of ORMs allows for improvements to be advantageous to a specific DBMS.

From: Craig Ringer
When you consider the adoption of PostgreSQL in the Rails/ActiveRecord crowd I think there's some interesting potential there. What there isn't is funding AFAIK.

Yes, this needs investigation. But I'm not sure Ruby ecosystem is the world where PostgreSQL should go. Do many users of commercial databases have assets based on Ruby which they want to continue to use?

Recently, my colleague, a Ruby committer, told me that Ruby may be losing momentum because developers are moving toward JavaScript+Node.js. Addressing JavaScript+Node.js ecosystem may be more beneficial to PostgreSQL popularity.

From: Craig Ringer
Besides, in practice, we probably should increase the number of software interoperable with PostgreSQL. e.g. one customer asked us whether Arcserve can be used to back up PostgreSQL databases, but unfortunately we had to answer no. They are using Arcserve to back up Oracle databases and other resources. "Then, you can use NetVault instead" is not the best answer; they just want to replace the database.

The "we" here is the problem. It's not likely to be folks focused on PostgreSQL core dev, but ... who, exactly?

I simply meant PostgreSQL developers and users (of course, including me) who wish PostgreSQL to become more popular and thrive for a long time. Most users use databases combined with applications (not just the DBMS alone), so increasing the number of applications supporting PostgreSQL will attract more users. PostgreSQL developers will gain wider market and business/job oppotunities.

From: Craig Ringer
Provide technical assistance to those vendors as an organization so that they can support PostgreSQL smoothly.

This one is a help. That said, pgsql-general is pretty helpful already...

Certainly.

From: Craig Ringer
* Make a directory of software/services that can be used with PostgreSQL on the community web site (wiki.postgresql.org or www.postgresql.org).
Software/services vendors and PostgreSQL developers/users can edit this directory.

I thought we had that? Yep.

http://www.postgresql.org/download/product-categories/

It's pretty invisible though, partly due to the postgresql.org landing page's need for a trim-down and tidy. (Don't even get me started on http://www.postgresql.org/about/ )

Thanks, I know the page. It totally slipped off my head. Yes, I'm afraid the path to the page (Home -> Download -> Software Catalog) is not good.

From: Craig Ringer
* How/Where can we get the knowledge of expanding the software ecosystem? Is there any OSS project that we can learn from?

Mongo.

http://www.postgresql.org/
https://www.mongodb.org/

... and tell me which you'd look over first if you were evaluating things.

Yes, I want something like a site map. But I couldn't find information about software supporting MongoDB within a few minutes, and I gave up. MongoDB website may not be necessarily nice.

In that respect, MySQL website is good, because "Partners" link is on the home page. PostgreSQL website can also have "Related software" or something like that on the home page.

From: Craig Ringer
How can we attract software vendors to support PostgreSQL? What words are convincing to appeal the increasing potential of PostgreSQL as a good replacement for commercial databases?

Change the name :p

Sorry, I couldn't catch the implication. Do you mean changing the name PostgreSQL to something else, or just a joke?

Regards
MauMau