Issue with PQdescribePortal to describe a select cursor

From: "Brijesh Shrivastav" <Bshrivastav(at)esri(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Issue with PQdescribePortal to describe a select cursor
Date: 2007-08-27 17:54:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi! All,

I am trying to use server side cursor by declaring a select cursor
and then using FETCH statement to fetch few rows at a time for
faster initial response and hopefully better memory utilization.
Everything works as expected including faster initial response.
However, I run into issue when I try to describe the select cursor
using PQdescribePortal(). It complains about the non-existence of
portal (cursor). I ensured that I create the cursor name in lower case
but that doesn't seem to help.

Is there any known issue with using PQdescribePortal() against
a declared select server side cursor? I don't have any issue
using PQDescribePrepared for regular select statement. Will
I need to execute the declared cursor before I can call PQdescribePortal()?

Any help pointers will be useful.

Thanks,
Brijesh