Re: Docbook 5.x

From: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Docbook 5.x
Date: 2016-06-27 13:21:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello,

I have some progress with the "Port all DSSSL customizations to XSLT"
step. I still think that we should avoid manual comparison of old and
new outputs when we can align them and have all differences observable,
countable and manageable.
I had developed XSLT's that allows us to do it. Please look at the patch
(with all the XSLT's) and the comparison script attached.
(There are a several dozens of changes in XSLTs and some in the script.
Some differences still remain but they are observable and can be
eliminated too)

Btw, can I hope to get some feedback on my previous letter regarding
error fixes
(https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5736C475.3030405%40gmail.com)?

Best regards,
Alexander

19.06.2016 23:22, Jürgen Purtz пишет:

> On 05.05.2016 03:09, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think the process should be something like this:
>>
>> - Apply your XSLT performance patch. The patch should be submitted
>> to the next commit fest.
>>
>> - Wait a while to make sure everyone is happy with the performance.
>> Keep tweaking if necessary.
>>
>> - Port all DSSSL customizations to XSLT. Manually evaluate output
>> for quality.
>>
>> - Switch to XSLT build for official HTML documentation. [milestone 1]
>>
>> - Convert sources to XML. (There could be substeps here.) [milestone 2]
>>
>> - Then consider upgrading to DocBook 5. [milestone 3]
>
> Alexander and I continue to work on this path. In the meanwhile we
> have reached a state where xml files are well formed and valid against
> docbook 4 dtd - each single file as well as the big postgres_all.xml
> file. Thanks to Alexander's performance patch all XSLT processes run
> very fast (the slowest is fo+pdf with 6:30 min).
>
> On this basis I actually work on the HTML generation. But in opposite
> to the previous steps (where we create identical copies of the sgml
> files) the new css file is very different from the old one. This
> results from the following:
>
> * The XSLT process generates other HTML elements and other classes
> in comparison to the dsssl process.
> * XML files are case sensitive. All object names (id, ulink,
> linkend, zone, ...) are now lower case.
> * Sometimes the order of elements changed.
> * As the previous css file was constructed (some years ago) from
> three different css files, he contains redundant and sometimes
> contradictory information. I did a complete review.
>
> To get a feedback from the community I have published the resulting
> postgres_all.html and its pgdoc_online.css file. Please refer to
> https://github.com/JuergenPurtz/pgdoc_db5/blob/master/postgresql-9.5.3/doc/src/db4_xml/postgres_all.html
> respective pgdoc_online.css to get the files. Please compare the html
> file with pages you are familiar with. And remember: the look-and-feel
> is similar, but far from identical.
>
> Jürgen Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
compare_dsssl_xslt.sh application/x-shellscript 3.8 KB
xhtml-like-dsssl.patch text/x-patch 67.1 KB