Re: LOG_PID

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ymir(at)wolfheart(dot)ro
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOG_PID
Date: 2002-06-10 14:13:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ymir <ymir(at)wolfheart(dot)ro> writes:
> I'm using the latest Postgres version, and I'm trying to get rid of the PID
> of the backend when logging to syslogd.

Seems like a fairly bad idea, since you'll then be unable to distinguish
the log outputs from multiple Postgres backends running concurrently.
However, it's surely doable if you remove LOG_PID from the openlog()
call.

> Re-reading the docs, I see no mention of the fact that this will only work
> for logging to a file (I didn't check the code for that, I don't know if it
> works), I must assume this is a bug, something you've overlooked.

I see no bug, and I really don't understand your claim that it only
works for logging to a file. syslog is syslog; where the syslog daemon
sends the log messages is not our concern.