Re: Restoring a db dump with tsearch fields fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Robert John Shepherd" <robert(at)reviewer(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Thomas T(dot) Thai'" <tom(at)minnesota(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring a db dump with tsearch fields fails
Date: 2002-11-08 15:02:24
Lists: pgsql-general

"Robert John Shepherd" <robert(at)reviewer(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I get the following error:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: Unable
> to locate type name 'txtidx' in catalog

IIRC, there is some issue with tsearch that makes it likely to fool
pg_dump into outputting items in the wrong order (ie, you may have
tables with txtidx columns appearing before the type txtidx is defined).
The short-term workaround is to manually fix the load order. With a
text dump file you'd just hack away at it with a text editor. With a
tar dump file, you need to use pg_restore's options that control the
load order. I've never done this and can't offer any advice beyond
"read the man page" ...