Re: Choosing parallel_degree

From: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Choosing parallel_degree
Date: 2016-03-17 11:13:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17/03/2016 11:23, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On 17/03/2016 02:07, James Sewell wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Julien Rouhaud
>> <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com <mailto:julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>> wrote:
>>

>> attached v3 drops the GUC part.
>>

>> This looks good good. I do think that some threshold control would be
>> good in the long term - but you are right Robert it just feels strange.
>>
>> Maybe once the final formula is implemented in 9.7+ and this gets some
>> real world use cases it can be revisited?
>>
>> One thing I really, really like about the way the new patch works is
>> that you can set parallel_degree on an inheritance parent, then that
>> will set the minimum workers for all associated children (when accessing
>> from the parent).
>>
>> Currently this patch will not fire on small tables even
>> when parallel_degree is set, can we fix this by adding a check
>> for ref->parallel_degree to the table size condition?
>>

> Actually, a parallel plan will be created, since in this case the
> rel->reloptkind will be RELOPT_OTHER_MEMBER_REL, not RELOPT_BASEREL.

And after re-reading your mail I see that it was what you meant, sorry :)

With the current threshold, you need a table bigger than 8 MB to be able
to force parallel workers. I'm not sure there'll be benefits for
multiple workers on a table smaller than 8 MB, since setting up all the
parallel stuff takes time.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org