Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date: 2016-03-03 17:18:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/03/2016 09:02 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Microsoft provides a set of VMs that one can use for testing and
> Windows 10 is in the set:
> https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/
> I have grabbed one and installed the community version of Visual
> Studio 2015 so I think that I am going to be able to compile Postgres
> with VS2015 with a bit of black magic.
>
> My goal is double:
> 1) As far as things have been discussed, VS2015 is making difficult
> the compilation of Postgres, particularly for locales. So I'd like to
> see what are the problems behind that and see if we can patch it
> properly. This would facilitate the integration of cmake as well for
> Windows.
> 2) src/tools/msvc stuff has support only up to VS2013. I think that it
> would be nice to bump that a bit and get something for 9.5~.
>
> So, would there be interest for a patch on the perl scripts in
> src/tools/msvc or are they considered a lost cause? Having a look at
> the failures could be done with the cmake work, but it seems a bit
> premature to me to look at that for the moment, and having support for
> VS2015 with 9.5 (support for new versions of VS won a backpatch the
> last couple of years) would be a good thing I think.

I am not holding my breath on cmake. Until we have something pretty
solid on that front I'm going to assume it's not happening. If we're
going to support VS2015 (and I think we should) then it should be
supported for all live branches if possible. I'm assuming the changes
would be pretty localized, at least in src/tools/msvc, and adding a new
compile shouldn't break anything with existing compilers.

cheers

andrew