Re: jsonb array-style subscription

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2016-03-03 00:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/2/16 6:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> If the patch were proposing a similar amount of new infrastructure to
> support some datatype-extensible concept of subscripting, I'd be much
> happier about it.

+1

> I believe there's been some handwaving in the past about extensible
> approaches to subscripting, though I haven't got time to troll the
> archives for it right now.

I'd be able to make use of that in my ndarray data type. It would also
be nice to be able to add things like matrix types, sparse arrays, and
variable size arrays (ie: list of lists), and subscripting is how you'd
want to interface with all of those.

Presumably the point type is handled specially today, so that should be
taken care off too.