Re: jsonb array-style subscription

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2016-03-03 00:24:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'd like to be a reviewer for the patch. It does not look big and very invasive.
> Is it a final decision or it has a chance? If something there hurts
> committers, it can end up as "Rejected with feedback" (since the patch
> is already in the CF[1])?

Well, it is pretty invasive, and I'm not sure anyone has bought in on the
design. The problem I've got with it is that it's a one-off that embeds
a whole lot of new parser/planner/executor infrastructure to serve exactly
one datatype, ie jsonb. That does not seem like a good design approach,
nor in keeping with the way Postgres usually goes at things.

If the patch were proposing a similar amount of new infrastructure to
support some datatype-extensible concept of subscripting, I'd be much
happier about it.

I believe there's been some handwaving in the past about extensible
approaches to subscripting, though I haven't got time to troll the
archives for it right now.