Re: PostgreSQL Auditing

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: curtis(dot)ruck(at)gmail(dot)com, José Luis Tallón <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>, Curtis Ruck <curtis(dot)ruck+pgsql(dot)hackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Auditing
Date: 2016-02-02 22:16:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/2/16 4:50 PM, Michael Banck wrote:

> We are looking into packaging pgaudit for Debian.
>
> However, then another question comes up: Should the 2nd Quadrant or the
> Crunchy Data codebase be added to the distribution? Who gets to decide?

For my 2 cents I think that the version I submitted recently is better
for PostgreSQL >= 9.5:

https://github.com/pgaudit/pgaudit

For this version I started with 2ndQuadrant's excellent work then spent
months refactoring, testing and adding additional configuration options.
In addition a number of reviewers found issues which were fixed and in
general it went through a trial by fire. This version includes more
comprehensive documentation and extensive regression tests.

However, the original 2ndQuadrant version will happily work with
PostgreSQL 9.3 or 9.4:

https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pgaudit

> Alternatively, both could be added, but that will likely confuse users.

This sort of confusion is one of the main reasons I pursued inclusion in
core.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net