Re: WIP: CoC V5

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>, "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: CoC V5
Date: 2016-01-14 17:11:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/14/2016 08:53 AM, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On 14 January 2016 at 16:37, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> If someone stands up in a respectful way in a public place and argues
>> a position, they should not be demonized or punished for that.
>
> I completely agree with you, unfortunately there are enough people who
> are so militant about their particular beliefs that they can make life
> very difficult for both the individual and the organisation they
> represents (cf eg Brendan Eich).
>
> If you are well known (outside of the community) as representing
> postgres then I'm afraid extreme opinions will reflect on postgres,
> whether you like it or not. On the flip side, I imagine that being
> that well-known brings positives (job offers, paid - or at least
> expenses-paid in nice locations - speaking engagements etc) in return.

Right but here is the rub. Being anti-gay marriage isn't an extreme
opinion. It is a minority opinion for sure but it is certainly not extreme.

Another issue, consider the statement:

"We do not need more women in the community"

Some will say, "Well yeah, that's true."

Others will say, "You are sexist, you violate the CoC"

We have both of those in this community, and I would argue the "others"
are actually the ones violating the CoC. They are personally disparaging
someone for a perfectly valid opinion.

Sincerely,

JD

P.S. before too many people get their hackles up remember that the word
need does not imply want or vice versa.

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/
+1-503-667-4564