Re: WIP: CoC V5

From: Neil <neil(at)fairwindsoft(dot)com>
To: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: CoC V5
Date: 2016-01-14 17:14:56
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Jan 14, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Now, how does this apply (as an example)? There are very loud people in this community who are pro-gay marriage and they are unable to respect those who don't agree with the position. There are also those who are anti-gay marriage that do the same.
>
> If someone stands up in a respectful way in a public place and argues
> a position, they should not be demonized or punished for that. I am
> 100% certain the below will cause issues. We need different wording
> if we are going to take that into account.

The community needs to decide between the following:

1. Does it want to eliminate participation from people with strong but opposing views.

or

2. Does it want to enforce respect and tolerance that allows people with strong but opposing views to contribute.

I would rather have #2 because I have a strong regard for freedom of speech. The solution is clearer if this can be decided.

For 2 a statement that the community respects the rights of people to have opposing or non-popular views as freedom of speech and since this project is non political we expect a certain amount of tolerance with regards to people’s views and opinions outside of their work on this project.

or

> * When interpreting the words and actions of others, participants
> should always assume good intentions.

Could be.

* When interpreting the words and actions of others, participants
should be tolerant of people’s right to have opposing views and always assume good intentions.

Neil