Re: pg15 beta2 bug:cause by logcial replation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "396934406(at)qq(dot)com" <396934406(at)qq(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg15 beta2 bug:cause by logcial replation
Date: 2022-07-01 05:16:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> writes:
> On Friday, July 1, 2022 11:35 AM 396934406(at)qq(dot)com <396934406(at)qq(dot)com> wrote:
>> ERROR: could not receive list of replicated tables from the publisher: ERROR: column t.attnames does not exist
>> LINE 2: , t.attnames

> Just to confirm, did you use the PG15 beta1 or earlier PG15 version
> as the publisher and use PG15 beta2 as the subscriber ?

It looks to me like this was an attempt to replicate from 15beta1 to
15beta2, which would fail because commit fd0b9dceb imagines that any
server reporting version >= 15 will have pg_publication_tables.attnames,
even though that column was not there in beta1.

I bitched about the ill-timing of that schema change at the time
but was outvoted. At this point I think it's water over the dam.
We could perhaps change that test in fetch_table_list(), but it'd
require access to the source server's catversion, which I don't think
is readily available. In any case, by the time we could provide a fix
it'd be useless to testers of beta1; they'd have updated already by
some other method.